Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Newborn Cloth Diaper Review

Cloth diapering a newborn is a tough sell for most people.  The expense of purchasing 25 to 40 diapers and the thought of adding laundry to the sleep deprived newborn phase deters many parents from starting out in cloth.
.
We started cloth diapering our first at 3 weeks once he had grown a bit and could fit on the one size diapers we had purchased.  This time I decided to cloth diaper from the moment we got home which was a few hours after baby #2 had been born.  Newborn cloth diaper options range from the classic prefolds and cover option to super cute AIO (all in one) diapers.  After much reading, I decided to try a combination of brands and diaper types and this is what my stash ended up looking like:

                                 Blueberry Mini Coverall over a Diaper Rite Bamboo Prefold and Snappi

                                               Thirsties Size 1 cover with a Diaper Rite Bamboo Prefold and Snappi

                                                                                 Thirsties Newborn All In One


3 Thirsties Newborn AIOs (fits babies 5-14 pounds)
21 homemade bamboo/hemp AIOs
12 Newborn Diaper Rite Bamboo prefolds (fits babies 6-12 pounds)
1 Blueberry Mini Cover (fits babies 6-18 pounds)
3 Size 1 Thirsties Covers
2 Snappis
1 Boingo
1 package of Bambo Nature Size 1 Diapers

My opinion after 3 weeks of cloth diapering a newborn?  Cloth diapering a newborn was not that difficult.  Hubby declared he wasn't using the Prefolds, but he was fine using the AIO diapers even with his big man hands.  Baby is 3 weeks old now and we still have a few of our disposable diapers left.  I do think I had too many changes and could have made do with far fewer diapers especially since I ended up using disposable at night. 

My favorite combination had been the Blueberry cover with a Diaper Rite bamboo prefold. 

Why do I love it?

Extra snap for custom fit
Blueberry has the extra snap which allows you to get a snugger fit around the leg which makes it virtually poo-spolsion proof

Easier Laundry
Having the cover separate from the absorbent layer makes drying easier since I can pull all the covers out before I stick everything in the dryer.  No more worrying about damaging the PUL with the dryer heat!

Super Soft
Bamboo makes the prefolds super soft which is perfect for a newborn.  Prefolds will continue to get fluffier and softer with each wash

Snappy Snappi's
Having an easy way to fasten the prefold makes this combination doable.  If I had to use the old fashioned diaper pins I would be steering well clear of prefolds, but Snappi's can be fastened very quickly and aren't a possible hazard if they are stepped and can't accidentally stick the baby when the diaper is put on


So far I have not had a single leak with this combination!

So if I could redo my newborn stash, what would I have purchased knowing what I do now?

Here is what I would have done:

5 Thirsties Newborn AIOs ($14.75 each I purchased mine on sale for $11.45)
18 Bamboo Prefolds ($13.95 per pack of 6)
4 Size One Blueberry Covers ($15.95 each)
2 Snappis ($6.75 for a pack of 2)
1 package Bambo Nature Diapers

Total Cost $181.95

The cost might seem a bit high but remember that the covers will fit the baby until they weigh 18 pounds so you will be getting months of use and the prefolds can be folded us and laid flat the the diaper as an insert once they can no longer be Snappi'd on the baby.  The only things on the list that are strictly newborn are the disposable diapers and the AIO diapers.  Also remember that the resale value of newborn diapers is over 50-90% of the new value so you will be able to recoup a lot of your cost once you are through.

AIO thoughts
I found that the homemade AIO diapers, while I had used top quality fabric, were prone to leaking and therefore I didn't use them as much once Homegirl was a bit bigger.  The Thirsties AIO diapers were perfect for the times when Daddy was changing her diaper or for when we went out. They were fairly absorbent, but I did find they leaked on occasion.  I would buy them again in a heartbeat since putting on a prefold when you don't have much experience is a bit more daunting when you are in a public restroom which a screeching newborn.

The AIO Thirsties did give a fairly snug fit around the legs so for skinny legged newborns this is perfect  Homegirl is now 5 weeks old and still fitting in the diapers at 11 pounds.  I would expect that she will probably get another month of use out of these diapers.

Covers and Prefolds
I ended up using on average 2 covers each day along with about 6 prefolds.  In the beginning I used a lot more covers while I was figuring out how to put on the prefold correctly.  Once I figured out my technique, I now actually prefer a prefold over an AIO.  Stay tuned for my Prefold tutorial!




Fasteners: Boingo vs Snappi
Snappis are just the perfect size for newborns.  I found that the Boingo was way too big and dug into the belly when she curled up.  I do thing it is a great option for older babies and I will be trying it again once she gets a bit bigger.


Night Time Cloth Diapering
I ended up choosing to disposable diaper at night since she, unlike her brother, sleeps the entire night with only three or four dream feeds.  Getting her woken up with multiple diaper changes was not in our best interest.  Next time I may invest in a Sustainable Baby Overnight Fitted diaper, but we will see how she does with the one I have once she grows into it in a few weeks. 

Bambo Nature
I have loved using the Bambo Nature diapers.  They are super wide for some reason, but they fit her quite well from birth (7 lbs 10oz) and so far we have had no leaks.  My only complaint is that they lack an umbilical cord notch, but that isn't must for me since I just folded down the top until her cord fell off a week later.

So if you are thinking about cloth diapering a newborn I would say to go for it!  It is fun to diaper such a tiny tush and it can be more economical than you think since newborn diapers hold their value quite well!

No comments:

Post a Comment